Developed by the
Nigerian Educational Research and Development Council (NERDC)
|Sub – Theme|
|1. Types of chemical|
2. Importance to the
– to the nation
3. Excursion to
|1. Meaning of Chemistry.|
2. Chemistry prospects
ties to chemistry.
3. Application (hospital,
military, teaching, chemical
and petrochemical industries,
space science, agriculture, etc.
4. Adverse effects of chemicals,
drug abuse, poisoning, Corrosion is defined as a natural process that causes the transformation of pure metals into undesirable substances when they react with substances like water or air. This reaction causes damage and... More
5. Scientific method.
Science meaning: Matter is any substance (often a particle) that has mass, and also volume (occupies space). Matter exists in three states, solid, liquid and gas and is made up of... More
|1. Physical and chemical changes.|
2. Atoms and molecules.
3. Dalton’s Atomic Theory.
4. Constituents of Atoms, protons,
neutrons and electrons.
5. Arrangement of electrons around
6. Atomic number, mass number and
7. Relative atomic masses based
on C-14 isotope.
|1. Chemical symbols of elements|
and their valencies.
2. Empirical and molecular
3. Law of conservation of matter.
4. Law of constant composition.
5. Law of multiple proportions
6. Chemical equations.
|1. Periodic table|
(first 20 elements only)
2. Electronic configuration of
3. Types of bonds.
a. strong bonds e.g electrovalent
(ionic), covalent, coordinate covalent
(Dative bonds); metallic bonds
b. Weak bonds e.g. hydrogen bond,
van-der Waals forces.
4. Systems of naming compounds.
*Any of these 2 naming systems is
acceptable at this level.
5. States of matter:
– Gaseous state
6. The Kinetic theory and its