Definition of Basic terms | Nutrition
1. Nutrition: The series of processes by which organisms obtain and use food, it also refers to how your body uses the food you have eaten.
2. Feeding: The act of taking food from living organisms, so as to get the energy to carry out activities of life.
3. Food: This is defined as any edible substance, either solid or liquid, which when taken gives the body the required nutrients for growth, development, and provision of energy.
4. Nutrients: The substances or groups of chemical compounds found in food. Foods do not contain nutrients in equal amounts, and no one food provides all the essential elements, for this reason, variety in the diet is more than the spice of life.
5. Diet: The kind of food we eat regularly is called diet.
6. Meal: This is the combination of food eaten together.
7. Dietitian: Nutrition specialists specialize in the study of food and nutrition in relation to health.