Uses and Importance of Living things
Importance of Plants to Human Beings:
1. Plants provide food for animals and man.
2. Wood from trees supplies timber for the construction of houses. So it can be said that plants provide shelter.
3. Fibres and latex obtained from plants are used to make robes, sacks, and rubber.
4. Some plant parts are used as sources of medicine.
5. Plants beautify the human environment.
6. Plants act as a source of oxygen during the process of photosynthesisPhotosynthesis is the process by which green plants, and some algae and bacteria, convert the energy of sunlight into chemical energy. This energy is then used to synthesize carbohydrates such as sugars from carbon dioxide and water; these carbohydrates are stored as food, and the energy within them is later released to fuel metabolic activities. Organisms that perform photosynthesis are called autotrophs.. They absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen to assist in breathing.
7. Plants can be used as firewood.
8. Plants are used to manufacture paper and stationery.
9. Plants are used to manufacture different products, such as facial and body scrubs, creams, and shampoos among others. An example of a plant with such properties is Aloe Vera.
10. They help to reduce soil erosion by holding the soil particles together.
Importance of Animals to Human Beings:
1. Animals are a source of food for man.
2. Animals’ hides or skin are used to make leather, bags, etc.
3. Some animals are used as means of transportation e.g camels, and donkeys.
4. Animals are sold to earn money e.g pigs, sheep, poultry, etc.
5. Animals help in the pollination of plants to produce fruits for humans.
6. Some animals, like dogs, provide security to human beings.
7. Some animal products are used as medicine, for example, honey produced by bees.
8. Animal dung and bird droppings are used for making manure.
1. What is a living thing?
2. Living things are classified into _________and ____________
3. List 5 five characteristics of living things.
4. State four (4) differences between plants and animals.
5. Enumerate 3 (three) importance of plants and animals to human beings.
living thing which can breath and move
animal and plant
movement,sensibility,irritability,respiration and reproduction
plant does not have sense of organs and animals does