Lesson 3, Topic 2
The Biblical Account of Human Disobedience
- The disobedience of Adam and Eve (Genesis 3:1-19) The bible tells us how the first human beings, Adam and Eve disobeyed God and sinned against Him.
- Before Adam and Eve submitted to the sin of disobedience, they lived in happiness in the “Garden of Eden”, to continue God’s creative work, to tend the garden.
- God gave Adam and Eve a simple law to obey. God told them to eat of all fruits of the trees in the Garden of Eden, EXCEPT of the fruits of the tree of “KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL”, if they should eat of the fruit of the tree they would die.
- God gave them the freedom of CHOICE to do what is right or what is wrong.
- However, one day, when Adam was not around, the serpent came to tempt Eve.
- The serpent deceived Eve to eat of the fruit. The serpent told Eve that, they would not surely die, rather, their eyes would be opened and they would be like God, knowing good and evil.
- Eve disobeyed God, ate of the fruit, and also gave to Adam, as a result, their eyes opened, and they knew that they were naked. They became ashamed of their nakedness and took fig leaves to cover their bodies.