Lesson 2, Topic 1
The Meaning of the Term Marriage
- Marriage is a legal union between a man and a woman.
- It is a process by which a man cleaves to a woman and they become husband and wife.
- Marriage is permanent.
- Marriage is based on the principles practiced of love, not on feelings.
- Marriage is God’s idea. It is a gift from God to man.
- Marriage is a living symbol of Christ and the church.
- Marriage is good and honourable.
- The first biblical marriage took place in the Garden of Eden, when God brought Eve to Adam (Genesis 2:22-25)
Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.
The man said, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,’ for she was taken out of man.”
That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.
Adam and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame.(Genesis 2:22-25)
Adam and Eve were nude.