Computer Room Management
The computer room should be out of bounds to non-users. It must be cleaned and the computers well arranged. The following are some of the rules to be observed in the computer room.
1. The computer room must always be clean and tidy. The environment must be dust-free. Be sure to dust behind your computer. You may also wish to clean your keyboards. A dust cover should be used to filter out dust. A dust blower should also be used, to blow off dust from within the computer.
2. The computer room must be well ventilated.
3. There should be UPS’s in case of power failure. A device called uninterruptible power supply (UPS) is a device used to store electricity, for the computer, in case of power failure.
4. The computer system must be well set up before usage.
5. Power surge must be provided to arrest high voltage.
6. All electronic devices must be switched off at the close of the day.
7. The computer room must be well lit and bright.
8. There should be a fire extinguisher in case of a fire outbreak.
9. Cables should not be left all over the floor.
10. You should avoid water and liquid from touching the keys of the keyboard. Eating and drinking should be avoided while in the computer room.
11. You should carry out regular routine servicing.
12. Exit Doors should be readily accessible to individuals in the computer room.
13. There must be no smoking in the computer room.
14. There must be an air-conditioner to make the computer room cool, as computers can be damaged when the computer rooms are very hot.
15. Avoid unnecessary storage of combustible material in data centers.
16. Visitors alone must not be allowed into the computer room; staff must accompany them.
17. All computers, and other equipment using electricity, must be switched off when they are not in use.
18. It must have burglary proof to protect against thefts.
19. A maintenance officer should check all computers before and after use.