Comprehension: At the Entrance to the Stadium
Text: New Oxford Secondary English Course for JSS1
Title: At the Entrance to the Stadium (pages 125 – 126)
Read the passage carefully to answer the question: Where was the match played?
At the Entrance to the Stadium
A few minutes before the football encounter between Enyimba Football Club and the Yankari Football Club was going to begin, all the gates to the Jokolo Stadium were shut. The stadium had already been jampacked but many people were still outside the stadium. These people could not get in because they had no tickets. Just then a small boy began to push his way between the legs of the crowd. He was almost trampled upon by the crowd as many people were suffocated. At last, the boy managed to reach the gate, put his hand in his pocket, and pulled out a ticket. He asked the gateman to open the gate. The man first looked at him and asked, “Where is your ticket, you think you can use your stature to enter without a ticket?” The boy then showed him his ticket. The gateman looked at the ticket to make sure that it was not fake. “It is genuine, my father bought it for me long ago”, the boy cried at the top of his voice.
“Did you come by yourself? Your father likes watching football, doesn’t he?” the gateman asked the boy. “Oh yes,” said the boy, “he does very much.” “Then why hasn’t he come with you?” “Oh,” replied the boy, “he’s still at home, looking for his ticket.” The boy had hardly finished answering the question when there were shouts of, “A goal” from the inside of the stadium. The boy was then allowed in. As the boy got in, another boy, Ayo, who was also a football fan wanted to follow him but he had no ticket, so he was disallowed. Since he didn’t succeed, the boy climbed a nearby mango tree so as to watch the match. And so he was able to watch the match without a ticket.
It was indeed a tough match as neither of the two teams conceded a goal. They played full-time and there were no scores. They were given extra time. It ended goalless.
Questions View Answers
- Which were the teams involved in the football match?
- Where was the match played?
- Why were there many people outside after the gate had been shut?
- How did the small boy get to the gateman at the stadium?
- What did the boy take out of his pocket?
- When the boy showed his ticket to the gateman, what did the gateman think?
- Why did the boy’s father not go to the stadium?
- Who was the boy who wanted to follow the small boy to the stadium?
- Why could he not enter the stadium?
- What alternative plan did he make?
- How many goals were scored during the match?
- How did the match end?
- Using your dictionary, check-up and write down the meaning of the following as used in the passage:
New Oxford English Book 1, Page 125 – 126, Questions 1 – 5
Assignment: Page 129, Ex 12 and 13
Reference: New Oxford Secondary English Course for Junior Secondary Schools Book 1, by F. Ademola et al.