Grammar: Parts of Speech – Noun (Functions)
- Examples of Nouns
- Functions of Nouns
Nouns are naming words e.g.
Person: Joel, Daniel, Ada.
Place: Lagos, school, library, Abuja.
Things: pencil, cupboard, fridge.
Ideas: beauty, hobby, happiness.
Function of Nouns:
1. A noun can be the subject of a verb in a sentence e.g.
a. Tom bit his nail.
b. Ada beats her classmate.
2. Noun can be the object of a verb in a sentence
a. Peter has a ruler.
b. The girl slammed the door.
3. A noun can be an object of a preposition
a. I kicked the ball against the wall.
b. Her daddy followed her to the park.
4. A noun can be the complement of a sentence
a. We are teachers.
b. Bose is my daughter.
5. A noun can be in Apposition is a grammatical construction in which two elements, normally noun phrases, are placed side by side so one element identifies the other in a different way. Example: In “my cousin... More.
a. Mr. Jude, the pharmacist, is a good man.
b. John and Bob, both friends of mine, are starting a band.
English Grammar for Junior Secondary School, Book 1 – Page 10 by P. O. Olatunbosun.