Estimation may be defined as a rough or sensible guess of a value or calculation.
It is useful to be able to estimate the following:
2. Weight’s (masses)
3. And capacities of any given object.
a. The length of a pencil is ≈ 16cm
b. The height of a man is ≈ 1.8m
c. A bag of salt is ≈ 1kg
Note the symbol ≈ means is ‘approximately equal to’
How to choose appropriate metric units of measurement.
The common metric units and their units:
1. Length \( \scriptsize \rightarrow\) km, m, cm, mm
2. Mass \( \scriptsize \rightarrow\) tonne, kg, g
3. Capacity\( \scriptsize \rightarrow\) l, cl, ml
4. Time \( \scriptsize \rightarrow\) hour, min, seconds
State the appropriate metric unit you would use to measure the following:
- Length of your room.
- Length of your fingernail.
- Your weight.
- The weight of a diary.
- The amount of water in a glass cup.
- The amount of medicine in a tea spoon.
- The time it takes a sportsman to run 100m.
- The time it takes to fill an empty tank.