Importance of Social Studies
These are some of the reasons we study Social Studies in Nigeria’s Schools:
1. It helps students become good citizens, and nation builders because it teaches them to develop good skills, habits, and positive attitudes towards other people and nations at large.
2. It helps us to learn about the social and physical environments in which we live.
3. It teaches how we can play a role in protecting the environment.
4. It helps us understand our culture, as well as the cultures of people from various sections of the country.
5. It teaches students to respect all constituted authorities at home, in school, at work, in their community, and in the country.
6. It helps us to acquire the necessary skills for solving societal problems.
7. It influences our attitude towards helping one another in societyThe term society is derived from the Latin word 'socius' meaning friendship or companionship. Society is a community, nation or group of people who share the same traditions, institutions, rules and... More.
8. It encourages our participation in social and civic duties.
9. It inspires students to emulate the activities of our national heroes and heroines, examples include Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Sir Ahmadu Bello, Queen Amina of Zaria, Margaret Ekpo, and Madam Tinubu who played prominent roles towards the progress of their communities, and the country as a whole.
10. It enables us to become useful members of society by teaching us a good sense of judgment, and moral and social responsibility.
11. It prepares the individual to live in an interdependent world peacefully.
12. It helps teach the student about other related subjects, examples include History, Geography, Sociology, Religious Studies, Government, Ethics, etc.
JSCE 2017 Social Studies Past Question
Good work with simple and ease sentence that make student quickly understand.
Very good work and easy to comprehend