Definition of Internet Terms
1. Cyber café: An internet café or cyber café is a place which provides internet access to the public, usually for a fee.
2. WWW (World Wide Web): WWW is a system in which documents (web pages) stored in special computers (web servers) can be accessed and viewed from any part of the world by computers that are connected to the Internet. Examples of website addresses include www.google.com, www.kofastudy.com, www.cnn.com, etc.
3. Email: Electronic mail is a method of sending or receiving messages electronically
4. E-Commerce: E-Commerce also known as Electronic Commerce refers to the buying and selling of products and services over the internet and other computer networks.
5. HTML (Hypertext Markup Language): It is the language of the web. The language uses tags to differentiate between the different elements on the web page.
6. HTTP: HTTP is an abbreviation for Hypertext Transfer Protocol. It is the set of rules and networking standards used for data communication for the World Wide Web.
7. Web Page: A Web page is a document, information resource, or page that is part of a Web site. It contains text, images, graphics and sound and can be found over the internet.
8. Web Browser (Internet Browser): A software program that allows users to view, have access to, and navigate web pages. It is also defined as a software application for retrieving, presenting, and traversing (moving through) information resources on the World Wide Web. e.g Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, etc
9. Website: This is simply a collection of related web pages accessed on the internet. its content includes texts, graphics, images, audio, e.t.c
10. Browsing: The term to describe a user’s movement across the web, It is the process of searching for and accessing the information on the internet.
11. URL: URL Stands for “Uniform Resource Locator.” A URL is the address of a specific webpage or file on the Internet.
12. Web Server: A server is a computer that delivers web content to a web browser. It serves web pages to a computer user.
13. Download: This is the process of receiving documents from the webserver to your own computer. In other words, it means to transfer a file from a web server to a web client.
14. Upload: To transfer a file from a local computer to a remote computer. In other words, it means to transfer a file from a web client to a web server.
15. File Transfer Protocol: This is one of the internet utilities used to download or upload files from one computer to another over the internet.
16. ISP (Internet Service Provider): ISP is an organisation/company that provides access to the internet and web hosting.
17. Home Page: It is the first page that appears when you visit any website. It is also the page of a Web site that provides the introduction or content with links.
18. Intranet: An intranet is a private network contained within an organisation that is used to securely share company information and computing resources among employees.