Effects of Deforestation on the Environment
The main environmental effects of deforestation and forest degradation include;
1. Exposure of land surface to erosion agents.
2. Specie extinction/reduction of wildlife.
3. Habitat destruction especially arboreal habitat.
4. Leads to loss of forest resources.
5. Loss of shade provided by trees.
6. Depletion of the ozone layer causing greenhouse effects because of CO2 concentration.
7. Global warming as a result of Carbon (IV) Oxide concentration.
8. Intense evaporation due to exposure of soil thereby lowering the water table.
9. Deforestation leads to flooding and erosion.
10. Loss of forest raw materials for export leads to economic loss.