Reasons for Deforestation
Deforestation occurs because of a number of reasons, and they include;
1. Felling of Trees: The trunks of trees are used as timber which is used by man for domestic purposes, like construction, furniture, cooking, etc. The trees need to be cut for this purpose.
2. Farming: Farmers can clear land for farming activities by burning the vegetation on it.
3. Construction: Felling of trees is usually done to make land available for construction of roads, houses, churches, recreational centres, etc.
4. Climatic Condition: A longer than normal dry season can cause plants and trees to dry up. This is a natural process.
5. Natural Disaster: Natural disasters like forest fires, landslides, etc, can also lead to the loss of forest reserves.