Resources from Animals
Animal resources are very vital to the existence of human beings. Animals provide resources which serve as food for growth and development. Some of these resources are:
1. Livestock: These are animals which are reared by farmers, for example, goats, sheep, cows, pigs, poultry, etc. They provide us with meat.
2. Hides and Skin: These are major animal resources used in the leather industry. Hides are derived from the skin of large animals, for example, horses, camels, cattle, buffalo, etc. Skin is obtained from smaller animals like goats and rabbits.
3. Dairy Products: A dairy is a place on a farm where milk is kept. Dairy products are milk products obtained from animal resources such as cows. Milk which is rich in protein is a major ingredient, in the production of cheese, yoghurt, etc, for human consumption.
4. Fishery Products: Examples include tilapia, catfish, mackerel, herrings, dogfish, etc, which serve as a source of food.
5. Decoration: Feathers of birds can be used for decoration.
6. Poultry products: Poultry products includes eggs, chicken, and turkey meats.
7. Clothing: Wools from some of these animals can be used for making cloth in textile industries.
8. Beast of burden: These are animals used to carry load, for example, camels, donkeys, horses, etc.
9. Manure: Manure is an organic matter, made from livestock dung, that is used as an organic fertilizer. They are used as manure on farms and gardens to fertilize the land.