Lesson 5, Topic 2
- In the early Christian days, there was only one church called the Catholic Church. Catholic means Universal.
- As a result of Reformation, the church was divided into two. The Roman Catholic Church and the Protestant churches.
- The catholic and the protestant churches are known as the orthodox churches.
- The Orthodox churches sent missionaries who established churches in all parts of the world including Nigeria.
- The first missionaries to come to Nigeria were Europeans from the Roman Catholic Church.
- Although, the mission of preaching the gospel failed due to hostile weather, language barrier, hostility by the then chiefs.
- This was five hundred years ago.
- Some of the people (early missionaries) were Hope Waddle, Mary Slessor, David Hinderer, Henry Townsend, Thomas Bowen, Dr Karl Kuman etc.
- The second attempt about three hundred years later was successful, the reason being that some Africans had become missionaries, among them were Samuel Ajayi Crowther, Reverend Thomas Birch Freeman, and William de Graft from the Gold Coast (now Ghana)
- Examples of Orthodox churches in Nigeria are:
Roman Catholic mission (R.C.M)
Assemblies of God mission