Lesson 1, Topic 2
Non-Violent Methods of Resolving Conflicts
The following ways can be applied to solve, manage or resolve conflicts in the society:
- Compromise: This is an agreement from the two parties involved in a conflict through negotiation in order to settle differences. They let go of their grievances by agreeing to the demands of each other
- Mediation: This is a situation where a third party is invited to resolve and settle disputes and conflict. The third party is known as the mediator who appeals to the parties for the resolution of conflict.
- Arbitration: This is the use of a judge as the 3rd party to decide or resolve whatever disagreement or conflict that exists between people in order to come to a resolution.
- Litigation/ Court Rulings: This is like arbitration but here conflict or disagreement is taken to the court of law for due process and the decision here is final.
- Enquiry: A panel can be set to look into the causes of the conflicts and make appropriate recommendations against future occurrences.