SS1: ECONOMICS - 2ND TERM
Firms & Industry | Week 14 Topics
Firms & Industry (Business Organisation) | Week 25 Topics|1 Quiz
Population Theory I | Week 33 Topics
Population Theory II | Week 43 Topics
Population | Week 53 Topics
Population Distribution | Week 64 Topics
Population Census | Week 73 Topics|1 Quiz
Labour Market | Week 83 Topics|1 Quiz
The Nature of the Nigerian Economy | Week 94 Topics|1 Quiz
Agriculture | Week 104 Topics|1 Quiz
Do you like this content?
The optimum population is the ideal population that when combined with the other available resources or other factors of production of the country will yield the maximum output of goods and services in a country at a particular time.
It is neither too small nor too large when combined with available resources at a given level of existing technology in order to secure a maximum return per head. Optimum population occurs when the population is equal to the available resources.
By optimum population, we mean the ideal number of population that a country should have considering its resources.
Characteristics of Optimum Population:
Below are characteristics of optimum population;
1. Optimum population is neither too small nor too large but equal to available resources in the country.
2. It yields a maximum return per head.
3. The highest standard of living is attained in a country that has an optimum population.
4. The resources are utilized at maximum.
5. Based on the supply of resources and population it is the ideal type of population.