The Role of Government Agencies in Product Distribution in Nigeria
There are some government agencies that are authorized to distribute goods and materials, which results in selling goods at more affordable prices than the middlemen.
Examples are government agencies such as Nigeria National Supply Company (NNSC), Lagos State Bulk-purchasing Co-operation, Imo State Marketing Board, Anambra State Distribution Agency (ASDA), etc.
Functions of the Agencies:
- They help make goods available from areas where they are produced to areas they are needed.
- They purchase goods in bulk and sell them directly to consumers at controlled prices.
- They also serve as an instrument for fighting artificial scarcity created by hoarders.
- These agencies of government are not set up for profit-making but to help bring down the prices of goods.
- They also help producers to produce in large quantities by giving them credit facilities.