Power, Authority & Accountability
It may be defined as the ability to control the action of others through the application of sanctions. By exercising power, others may be forced to change their action against their will and to compel obedience on their part. The sanction which may be physical, social, or political is an instrument of power that is used to influence the action of others. Sanction is applied when there is an absence of compliance.
Authority can be defined as power which has legitimacy. It is the right to give command or directive and to ensure compliance. The authority of a manager is derived from his office and no manager can command or direct unless he has the authority to do so.
Accountability simply means a situation whereby a subordinate is accountable to his superior in an organization for his actions and he is obliged to report to his superior how well he has discharged his responsibilities and use the authority delegated to him.
1. Explain organizational set up
2. Itemize the departments in an organization
3. Mention the different types of media used in inter and intra departmental communications
4. Write short note on authority, power and responsibility
5. What are the importance of inter and intra departmental communication?
6. What is span of control? Explain five factors that determine the span of control