Comprehension: The Trial of a Hardened Criminal
Topic: The Trial of a Hardened Criminal.
Text: New Oxford Secondary English Course for SSS2 pages 27 – 28.
1. Because a notorious armed robber was being tried.
2. Sule returned the judge’s stern gaze.
3. Sule was not intimidated because
i. He had successfully met the stern gaze of many judges.
ii. He did not fear anybody except Allah.
4. Frustration, punishment and suffering.
5. The word ‘innocent’ is put in quotation marks to show that Sule was not innocent as he claimed to be.
i. Adjectival (relative) clause
ii. Qualifies ‘armed robber.’
i. jam-packed – filled, packed full.
ii. apprehended – arrested, caught.
iii. unruffled – undisturbed, unconcerned
iv. stretch – spell, term
v. intimidated – cowed, frightened.
vi. dismayed – disappointed.