Lesson 1, Topic 1
Meaning and Reasons for Creation of Local Government
Local Government is a semi-autonomous body created by law to provide for the needs of the people at the grassroots level. It is the third tier or level of government created by an act of parliament, to take care of the peculiar needs of people in a locality or provide certain services for the people.
Reasons for Creation of Local Government:
The following are reasons for the creation of States:
- To bring the government nearer to the people. Grassroots government will bring the benefits and government activities nearer to the people in local areas.
- The creation of Local Government Areas helps to ensure the reduction of over-concentration of political power in one authority.
- To serve as a link between the government and the people at the grassroots.
- To provide opportunities for local participation in politics and in community development projects.
- To promote even development in all parts of the country.
- To cater to the diverse interests of people in different localities.
- To act as an agent of Central and State governments in the implementation of policies e.g. Maintenance of Law and Order.
- To provide employment opportunities for people at the local level.
- To complement the efforts of the Central and State governments in the provision of essential services to the local people.