The JAMB Syllabus is a comprehensive listing of topics from which questions would be set on all subject areas. The syllabus has been specifically designed to guide candidates to adequately prepare for the examination.
Blow is the JAMB 2022 Syllabus for Commerce;
(ii) Types (industrial, commercial, and services)
(ii) Factors, characteristics, and rewards (land, labour, capital, and entrepreneur)
(iii) Division of Labour
(v) Types (primary, secondary and tertiary)
(a). Home Trade
(i) Retail trade
– types of retailers
– functions of retailers
– trends in retailing (branding, self-service, vending machines, the use of luncheon and fuel vouchers)
– advantages and disadvantages of retailers
(ii) Wholesale trade
– Types of wholesalers (merchant, agent, and general)
– Functions of wholesalers
– Advantages and disadvantages of wholesalers
(b). Foreign trade
(i) Basic issues in foreign trade (balance of trade visible and invisible, balance of payments and counter trade)
(ii) Procedures and documents used in export, import, and entrepot trade
(iii) Barriers to international trade.
5. Purchase and Sales of Goods:
(i) Procedure and documentation (enquiry, quotation, order, invoice, proforma invoice, statement of accounts, indent, consular invoice, bill of lading, certificate of origin, consignment note, etc)
(ii) Terms of trade (trade discount, quantity discount, cash discount, warranties, C.O.D., C.I.F., F.O.B., and E.O.E.)
(iii) Terms of payments
a. Cash – Legal tender
– Types and functions
– Merits and demerits
(i) Types and media
(ii) Advantages and disadvantages
(i) Types of banks
(iv) Merits and demerits
(iii) Advantages and disadvantages
(iv) Regulatory agencies
7. Business Units:
(i) Forms of ownership
(iii) Registration of businesses
(iv) Business Mergers
(v) Determination of choice of business units
(vi) Dissolution and liquidation of businesses
8. Financing Business:
(i) Sources of finance (personal savings, sale of shares and bonds, loans, debentures, mortgage, bank overdraft, ploughing back of profit, credit purchase, leasing
(ii) Problems of sourcing finance
(iii) Types of capital (share capital, capital owned, authorized (registered or nominal) capital, issued capital, called-up capital, paid-up capital, liquid capital, working capital and owners’ equity)
(iv) Calculation of forms of capital, profits (gross and net) and turnover
(v) Bureaux de change
9. Trade Associations:
(i) Objectives and functions of trade associations (e.g. Cocoa Farmers’ Association, Garri Sellers’ Association, Poultry Farmers’ Association)
(ii) Objectives and functions of consumer association (e.g. thrift, credit and loans)
(iii) Objectives and functions of Chambers of Commerce (e.g. NACCIMA)
11. Stock Exchange:
(i) Importance and functions
(ii) Procedure of transactions and speculations
(iii) Types of securities (stocks, shares, bonds, debentures, etc)
(iv) Second-Tier Securities Market (STSM), listing requirements, types of companies for the market, advantages and operating regulations of the market.
12. Elements of Business Management:
(i) Functions (planning, organizing, staffing, coordinating, motivating, communicating and controlling)
(ii) Principles (span of control, unity of command, delegation of authority, etc)
(iii) Organizational structure (line, line and staff, functional, matrix and committee)
(iv) Functional areas of business (production, marketing, finance and personnel)
13. Elements of Marketing:
(i) Functions and Importance
(ii) The marketing concept (consumer orientation, customer satisfaction and integrated marketing)
(iii) Marketing mix (product, price, place (distribution and promotion)
(iv) Market Segmentation
(v) Customer Service.
14. Legal Aspects of Business:
(i) Meaning and validity of a simple contract
(ii) Contract Agency, Sale of Goods Acts and Hire Purchase Act
(iii) Rights and obligations of employer and employee
(iv) Government regulations of business – registration of business, patents, trade marks and copyrights
(v) Consumer protection – need for, and means of protection (Government legislation, Foods and Drugs Act, Standards Organization Act, Trade Descriptions Act, Consumer Association, Consumer Protection Council, NAFDAC, NDLEA, Customs and Excise, etc.)
15. Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
(iv) Advantages and disadvantages
(b). Terms (Internet, Intranet, browsing, password, e-mail, google, yahoo, search, cyber café, Local Area Network, etc.)
16. Business Environment and Social Responsibility:
(i) Legal, political, economic, social, cultural, technological environment, etc
(ii) Safe products, philanthropic and social environment and societal consideration
(iii) Types of pollution (water, air and land) and their implications.
JAMB Commerce Recommended Textbooks
- Anderson, D. J. (1978). Commerce for West Africa, London: Macmillan.
- Ahukannah, L. I. names(s)? (1992). Commerce for Secondary Schools
Onitsha: Africana – First Publishers.
- Asaolu, A. and Igwe, P. M. (2005). New Syllabus Commerce for Secondary Schools
Books 1 – 3 (Second Edition) Ibadan: Evans.
- Babatunde, A. H. (1999). Handbook on Commerce for Schools and College,
(First Edition), Global Publications.
- Eriki, P. O. (1998). Working with Computer, Benin: Bofic Publishers.
- French, C. S. (2000). Computer Science, (Fifth Edition), Britain: Ashford.
- Ibru, G. M. (2004). Nigeria: The Promise of Tourism, Lagos: G.S.L. Publishing Limited.
- Igwe, P. M. names(s)? (2004). Countdown to WASSCE/SSCE/NECO/JME Commerce, Ibadan: Evans.
- James, A. F, names(s)? (1996). Management, (Sixth Edition), New Delhi: Prentice Hall).
- Nwachukwu, C. C. (1999). Management Theory and Practice, Onitsha: Africana – FIRST Publishers.
- Odedokun, M. Onames(s)? (1999). Commerce for Senior Secondary School, Books 1 – 3, Lagos:
- Odoom, F. F. (1998). Commerce for Senior Secondary School, Books 1 – 3, Ibadan: Onibonoje.
- Onifade, A. (2001). Management: Office Business Education, Abeokuta: KAPPCO.
- Onifade, A. (2002). The Computer for Word Processing and Internet, Abeokuta: KAPPCO.
- Onu, A. J. C. (2000). Marketing Today, Abuja: Precious Treasures Ltd.
- Pallister, J. and Isaacs, A. (eds) (2002). A Dictionary of Business (Third Edition), Oxford:
- Oxford University Press.
Wisdomline Pass at Once JAMB.