Developed by the
Nigerian Educational Research and Development Council (NERDC)
|||||Sub – Theme|
|||||FUNDAMENTALS OF SOCIAL STUDIES EDUCATION|
|1||History of |
– First conceived in the United States
and later spread to Europe.
– After the world wars it was identified
as a course that is relevant to the
understanding of man and his problems.
– Conferences were held to spread
it in Africa, i.e Mombosa conference in Kenya.
– Back home in Nigeria, the Aiyetoro
comprehensive High school Pilot Study
and Project with the assistance of ford
– Former twelve states of Nigeria went
further to organize activities to promote
social study in their educational institutions
– In further development of the subject,
many seminars and workshops have been
organised by such bodies as the NERDC
and Social Study Association of Nigeria
(SOSAN) and others.
– Today social study is taught in the
primary school, junior secondary schools,
NTI, Grade II Teachers Certificates, Colleges
of Education and Universities. One can obtain
PhD in social studies.
– Leads students to discuss the history of
Nigeria Social Studies Education.