Uses of Energy
1. Animals and human beings see things around clearly as a result of light energyEnergy is the ability to do work. Energy exists in several forms such as heat, kinetic or mechanical energy, light, potential energy, and electrical energy. Units of Energy: The SI unit of energy is the joule (J) or newton-meter (N * m). The joule is also the SI unit of work..
2. Chemical energy in foods enhances all living organisms to carry out their daily activities
3. Green plants utilize radiant energy for photosynthesisPhotosynthesis is the process by which green plants, and some algae and bacteria, convert the energy of sunlight into chemical energy. This energy is then used to synthesize carbohydrates such as sugars from carbon dioxide and water; these carbohydrates are stored as food, and the energy within them is later released to fuel metabolic activities. Organisms that perform photosynthesis are called autotrophs..
4. Mechanical energy is used to drive vehicles and automobile machines.
5. Chemical energy stored in petroleum products is used as fuel in motor vehicle engines and for domestic cooking.
6. Electrical energy is used in electric and electrical appliances in the home, school, and office to power our appliances, television sets, computer sets, radio sets, etc, and also to light our homes.
7. Sound energy is used in communication.
8. Heat energy is used to cook, press our clothing, dry things, and give us warmth. Heat energy is also used for welding, purification of metals, expansion of metals, etc.
9. Nuclear energy is used in power generators, transportation, agriculture, and medicine.
10. Solar energy is used to light up our streets and some calculators use solar energy.
1. Define energy.
2. List the two main sources of energy.
3. State 4 sources of natural and artificial energy.
4. List 5 forms of energy.
5. State 5 sources of energy.
6. Give 3 examples of energy transformation.