Significance of the Baptism and Temptation of Jesus
The Significance of the Baptism:
1. Jesus accepted baptism to identify himself with sinners he had come to save.
2. It was an inauguration of Jesus’s public ministry.
3. To confess sins on behalf of the nation.
4. To demonstrate humility, repentance, and willingness to turn from sin.
5. To give an example to follow.
The Significance of the Temptation:
1. In the first temptation, the devil wanted Jesus to be seen as an economic messiah, Jesus is not for material comforts but more for our spiritual salvation.
2. In the second temptation, the devil wanted to present Jesus as the wonder-working or miracle messiah and savior.
Jesus has come to call all mankind to God.
3. The devil presented Jesus as a political messiah.
Jesus has come to save all mankind from sin so that we might establish a good relationship, with God, and with our neighbours.