The Biblical Account of Creation
According to the Holy Bible, in the book of Genesis chapter one, the Earth was without form and void, completely covered with water and darkness. It had no shape and it was empty. There was no human being, no animal, no tree, no land, no sun, no moon, nor stars. God began to make all things be.
Who is God?
- The Holy Bible describes God as the Supreme Being.
- God is a spirit (John 4:24)
- God is I Am that I Am (Exodus 3:14 ‘King James’)
- God is the Alpha and Omega. The beginning and the end (Revelation 1:8)
“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.”
- God is the Ancient of Days.
- God is the beginning of all beginnings (John 1:1)
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
- God is also the sustainer of the Universe.
Attributes of God:
Attribute means nature, quality, or characteristics of someone or something. God has so many attributes, some of them are as follows:
- God is the Sovereign Creator: It means, God has authority and control over the kingdom which he rules.
- God is Omnipotent: This means that God is all-powerful; He is the greatest of all.
- God is Omniscient: This means, God sees everything, knows everything, and therefore understands everything. It means God has wisdom.
- God is Omnipresent: This means God is everywhere at the same time. He is in heaven and at the same time, He is on earth.
- God is invisible: This means, we cannot see Him with our physical eyes. He is a spirit.
- God is Love: This means he cares for us, He is concerned for our wellbeing (John 3:16)
- God is Holy: This means to be righteous. There is no sin in Him.
What is Creation?
To create is to make something exist that has not existed before, that is, to bring to life.
Creation is the act or process of making something exist. It is a way of doing or bringing out something new.
It is only God that can create, human beings can only invent.
For example, human beings make things from created things, like chairs from wood, shoes, and bags from rubber, etc.
All religious sects/denominations recognize God as the creator of man and the universe.
There are two accounts of creation, first, is the creation of the world, Genesis 1 & 2, second is the creation of man. Everything was created by the spoken word of God. God created the earth in an orderly fashion.
- 1st day, God created light by saying “Let there be light” and there was light.
- 2nd day, God created the firmament of Heavens with water under and above it.
- 3rd day, God created the seas, land, trees, vegetation, and earth.
- 4th day, God created the heavenly Bodies which include, the sun, moon, stars, and other planets. The sun to shine in the day, and the moon to govern at night. They are also for signs to show day, season, and years. They also help us to count our days, weeks, months, and years.
- 5th day, God created the sea animals and birds, All kinds of sea animals, and all types of birds.
- 6th day, God created all land animals and Man in His own image.
- 7th day, God blessed all that He created and rested. He hallowed the seventh day.
Meaning of Hallowed – Reverence/hold sacred.
JSCE 2020 Christian Religious Studies Past Question