Meaning of Advertising
Advertising is the process of calling the attention of the public (audience) to a product, service, or idea in order to induce them to buy.
Advertising is the message of advertising and constitutes oral or written words, illustrations and pictures that convey the message.
Features of Advertising
The following are the feature of advertising:
1. It must be able to arrest attention
2. It must be able convince the prospective buyers to buy
3. It should create a permanent, good impression of the commodity in the minds of the buyer
4. It should make correct claims as to merits and capacity of the product
5. The messages should be clear and not ambiguous
Roles of Advertising
Here are the aims, roles, objectives or purpose of advertising.
1. Advertising educates the consumers on the use of the product.
2. It provides the public with the information of the availability of the products and services.
3. Consumers are also able to differentiate the products of different manufacturers through advertising and thereby create brand loyalty.
4. It persuades customers to buy, it promotes impulse buying.
5. It helps the manufacturers to keep on improving on the quality of the products though research.
6. Institutional advertising helps to project the good image of the product.
7. It helps to increase the market share and wide distribution of company’s products.
8. It helps to sustain the demand for the product by ensuring the frequent use of the product by customers.
9 It increases employment
10. The level of investment in the economy also increases.
11. Unfavourable criticisms and prejudice is counteracted through advertising.