Definition of Office Procedure:
Office procedures set the standard for how members of staff work together, in the office. It is often a set of rules or policies guiding the operations of an office or small business.
Function of Office Procedure:
Office procedures are necessary to ensure efficiency in the workplace. Handling calls in and out, paperwork, filling; taking messages, customer interaction and even furniture arrangement can all fall under office procedure.
Importance of Office Procedure:
The following are some of the importance of office procedures:
1. It serves as a standard which can be referred to by all.
2. Staff efficiency is enhanced when laid down office procedures are complied with.
3. Staff supervision is easy and effective when office procedures are adhered to.
4. It leads to orderliness and proper flow of office functions.
5. Staff training is effective when there are established office procedures.
6. It enables consistency and uniformity in the way official duties are performed.
7. It helps work to be done faster.
8. It helps in the smooth running of the office.
Benefits of Office Procedure:
Office procedure creates a uniform way of doing things, that creates consistency, efficiency, and professionalism within the office environment.
Effects of Office Procedure:
Office procedures often fall in line with company policies. For instance, a company policy may be that no liquid is allowed near the computers, with that, the policy may become a procedure for staff members, to safely have water or soft drinks, kept a safe distance from the computers.
Following those office procedures would be mandatory. Disobeying it could cost staff members their jobs.