Lesson 3, Topic 1
Signs of Computer Virus Infection
Below are some possible signs that your computer may have been infected with a computer virus;
- The appearance of strange characters.
- Appearance of double extension on recently opened attachments e.g .vbs, .gif, .jpg, .exe.
- When applications on the computer do not work properly.
- When disk drives are inaccessible.
- Slowing down response time.
- The appearance of unusual error messages.
- When anti-virus programs are blocked during installation.
- Presence of tiny dots.
- The system slows down or crashes
- The computer stops responding or locks up from time to time.
- The computer crashes and then restarts every few minutes.
- The computer restarts itself.
- Programs in the computer do not work effectively.
- Programs disappear from the computer even when you did not intentionally remove them.
- Strange sounds are heard from the inbuilt or external speakers.
- New icons unknown to you appear on your desktop.
- It can delete or change files.
- It can load or run unwanted files.
- It can make the cursor freeze.
- Files do not save properly.